Thank you for your interest in becoming involved with the BGSHRM chapter! Each Board position has a specific position description. However, here are some general responsibilities that should be considered before deciding to run for office.
Some benefits of becoming a chapter Board member include:
- Terms are two years, unless running for President-Elect which is a three year term with one year each serving as President-Elect, President and Past President.
- Be an active Board member. This includes regularly attending chapter meetings and board meetings. It also includes being prepared for Board meetings, asking critical questions, and helping the Board come to agreement in making decisions that affect chapter membership. Board meetings take place monthly, typically the week prior to a chapter meeting. Attendance is necessary for success!
- Know or build your knowledge about your chapter, SHRM, and its governing bylaws. Learn about SHRM and its role with your chapter. The SHRM Leaders Guide is available online in the Volunteer Leaders’ Resource Center (VLRC) to assist you.
- Stay informed of trends in the field of human resources and timely issues affecting your chapter.
- Abstain from activities that may appear to create a conflict of interest. Follow the SHRM Code of Ethical and Professional Standards in Human Resource Management.
- Be willing to provide contacts and resources to help your chapter grow and develop as an organization.
- Maintain confidentiality, as appropriate, of chapter Board issues and membership data.
- Be a chapter member in good standing and maintain a SHRM membership.
If you have any questions regarding this information or you would like to get more information about a specific board leadership position or joining a board committee, please contact your chapter president
- The chance to make an impact and assist in the development of your chapter and the HR profession.
- An opportunity to be recognized as a leader in the field of human resources.
- BGSHRM membership dues are waived for Directors and Chairs. Officer roles additionally include waived meeting/meal fees! This does not include BGSHRM special events.
- Free attendance to KY State SHRM Leadership Conference
- Hours spent as a volunteer leader can be counted toward re-certification hours for SHRM and HRCI!
- The opportunity
to attend SHRM’s Annual Conference in June for the President and
President-Elect! Conference costs are covered by the BGSHRM Chapter.
- The opportunity to attend SHRM’s Annual Leadership Conference (VLBM) in November! Conference is FREE for Chapter President OR President-Elect, including accommodations (SHRM membership required for attendees). The incoming president-elect is only eligible for complimentary registration if the incoming chapter president is unable to attend. If both attend, the president-elect must register as an additional chapter attendee ($450 in 2018), which will be covered by the cost of the BGSHRM Chapter.
View Position Descriptions here: Job Descriptions - Revised BGSHRM FINAL (ALL) 2021.pdf